Thursday, August 21, 2008

Quick! What's the number for Mensa?!

Rebecca's such a little smarty pants. I have to brag on behalf of my child for a little while. Because, hey, it's my blog. I get to do that sort of thing here!

First, about 2 weeks ago she demonstrated her ability to label colors. She brought me one of her new bathtub crayons (more about those in another post) and said "Mama! Pink crayon!" and it was. I was beaming with pride. Until, of course, Brian pointed out that perhaps it was a coincidence.

The next morning I was pouring her some milk and selected a straw for her in her cup (as requested, she's so demanding sometimes! LOL). She reached in, picked it up and said "Mama, purple straw!" Or I suppose more like "Muh-muh, puh-buh stwaw". She's brilliant.

Then a couple of days ago we were reading one of her books (Sandra Boynton's Hippos Go Berserk- great book. V. cute) and I was reading "ONE hippo all alone. Calls TWO hippos on the phone" Rebecca kept repeating the numbers as I read them so I set the book aside and just counted the hippos with her. She'd repeat One, Two, Three... then loose interest.

The next morning I was putting her shoes on. These shoes are so cool, they're hot pink with little green turtles all over them (Tuuur-tles) and we were counting the turtles. We got to 6 and she'd ask me to start again. About a half an hour later in the car I hear her in the back seat singing to herself. It went like this.
"La la. One. La la. Six. Six one. Two. Three Six. One. Three. Threeee. La la."

Apparently the number 6 stood out to her?

Now she's up to being able to count One..... Two.....Three.... if prompted. But she thinks that at 3 you're required to jump in the air, jump off a chair, do some sort of silly move. I dig the way she thinks.

Our daycare provider Chris (another truly brilliant woman) has a saying which I paraphrase as thus "Children are brilliant. It's the adults that are too stupid to figure out how brilliant".

Case in point: This evening Rebecca was finishing up her dinner when we found a bunny sitting by our back deck. She LOVES bunnies. Absolutely adores them. So I got her out of the high chair to go see the bunny. As it hopped away we went inside saying "Goodbye bunny".
We reach the table and she says "All done! All done! All done!" so I assume this meant that she was.... all done?

I set her down and started to clean off her sticky fingers when she got very upset "No! No Mama!" After several tries to figure out what it was she wanted, I finally said "Becca, what do you need?"
She looked me square in the eye and said "More cheese, please!" with a huffy look like "Geeze, woman, what have I been saying all along?"

It turns out "All done" was actually "All gone". As in, the bunny is gone, now woman, where's my cheese? See? I'm just too stupid to figure it out :)

0 comments: