Sunday, August 22, 2010

A few weeks ago I took Rebecca into the grocery store to grab a few quick things while Brian kept a sleeping Madeline in the car. As we were rounding our way through the freezer section and past the beer Rebecca stopped dead in her tracks. I turned around and said "Come on, Becca, keep up with me" She stood completely still and stared at someone hidden from me behind a display case. "Rebecca," I hissed, "Come on! Don't stare. Let's go!"
She turned to look at me with wonder and excitement showing on her face. Then she blurted out something unrecognizable. I asked her what she'd said and she said "Mama! Come here! Look!"
I finally walked over to prod her along and realized what she was looking at.
She whispered again to me "Mama! That man! That man has a TAIL!"
There was a man restocking the beer display with a feather dusting brush in his back pocket. Because he was squatting down it was sticking strait out of his pocket and indeed looked a bit like a tail.
Rebecca excitedly kept whispering "A tail! Mommy he has a TAIL!"
As I pulled her along towards the checkout, trying to explain it was a brush not a tail, she shook her head.
"No Mama, I saw. That man had a tail!"

0 comments: